In 1929, Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) is established by Maria Montessori in conjunction with her son, Mario with headquarters in Berlin (until 1935; after that in Amsterdam).
AMI has a unique role as custodian of the history of the Montessori movement, maintaining the integrity of Maria Montessori’s legacy. In this role AMI is responsible for articulating Montessori philosophy and practice clearly in order to meet the needs of children and influence educational paradigms in a rapidly changing world.
The Association Montessori Internationale’s (AMI) mission is to support the natural development of the human being from birth to maturity, enabling children to become the transforming elements of society, leading to a harmonious and peaceful world.
AMI is recognised internationally as an authoritative voice regarding the unique nature of childhood, natural human development and the rights of the child.
AMI is identified and sought after nationally and internationally as the custodian and cultivator of Montessori philosophy and pedagogy.
AMI is invited to assist international and national humanitarian and government authorities in addressing social and educational problem situations where positive change can be effected through the education of children.
AMI activities include coordinating a training of trainers programme, guiding approved manufacturers of Montessori Materials, overseeing the publication of Dr Montessori’s books, organising congresses and study conferences, affiliating Montessori Societies and publishing the magazine Communication.
The Objectives of the Association Montessori Internationale are:
- Upholding the rights of the child in society, and making known the child’s importance for the progress of civilisation;
- Making known the natural laws of growth in order to help the child to develop naturally in the family, school and society;
- Awakening public opinion with regard to the moral dignity of the child as ‘the Father of Man’, and to make clear the true nature of adult responsibility toward the child as the worker whose spontaneous activity produces the full-grown man;
- Spreading and upholding the pedagogical principles and practice formulated by Dr Maria Montessori, which ensure the independence of the child’s personality through successive stages of growth until he reaches full normal development by means of his own activity;
- Providing opportunities wherever possible for children to develop normally, thereby helping all adults to enter into a new life of harmony and co-operation with children; and by thus unifying the two fundamental phases of human life, to lead the way to a higher and more peaceable civilisation;
- Functioning as a social movement that will strive to obtain recognition for the rights of the child throughout the world, irrespective of race, religion, political and social beliefs; co-operating with other bodies and organisations which further the development of education, human rights and peace.
AMI Membership is open to everyone. Click here to become a member of AMI and Institute Montessori Bulgaria.
As an Individual Member of Institute Montessori Bulgaria and Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), you will contribute to development of Montessori movement in Bulgaria and receive newsletters and publications, and benefit from a special discounts on seminars organised by Institute Montessori Bulgaria and materials by AMI approved producer.
Visit AMI’s website: www.montessori-ami.org